July 7, 2012

If At First You Don't Succeed... WHAT Am I Doing?!!!



One year ago I had big plans.  I set a goal for myself.  I wanted to run the Soaring Wings Half Marathon.  Well, guess what?  I did not reach my goal.  Big surprise, huh?  That is a HUGE goal, especially for a girl who has never even participated in a 5K.  

About a month ago, I started getting emails about the training program that I participated in last year.  I questioned whether or not I should do it.  Actually, the first few emails immediately got deleted.  I had NO desire to do this.  I was not even going to consider it.  I could give you a million excuses...

1) Arkansas is HOT in the summer!  Especially right now.  We are in the middle of a drought and have had triple digit temperatures for most of the summer (and it is only July 7th!).

2) I am fat and self conscious attempting to run with all the beautiful "crazy runner people".

3) The training program is early in the morning.  I am NOT a morning person!

4) The training program is on Saturday mornings, and have I mentioned it is early in the morning?

5) I do not even like running.

6) I did not finish last year, so why should I waste my time this year.

7) I am too busy to do this and do it right.


These are just a few of the pitiful excuses I have had running through my head the past few weeks.

The early time of the training runs are one of the biggest contributors to my not wanting to do this and also to me quitting last year (yes, I will admit I was a QUITTER!).  I am SO not a morning person.  

Since I am posting this, I am sure you have already guessed that I changed my mind.  I am not real sure why.  I do not feel the pressure I felt last time that eventually caused me to quit.  I am not fast.  I have no desire to be fast.  Whether I walk or run... I want to FINISH.

This morning is the first day of training and wouldn't you know, I have been awake since 4:45!  How about that?  It was not by choice.  One of my kids woke me up.  I was wide awake and decided to go ahead and get up so that I am not dragging at 7am.

I am about to head out the door to go to the first training session.  I will fill you in later on how it all goes.  In the meantime, do you have any tips or suggestions or words of wisdom to keep me motivated?

Here goes.. Wish me luck!

 

2 comments:

Rebekah Vess

You can do this!! I did Soaring Wings last year...trained ALONE...had to motivate myself EVERY SINGLE BIG MILEAGE DAY!!! It was NOT easy, but I will tell you that crossing the finish line and hearing your name called is INCREDIBLE!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Karen Greenberg

I found that when it came to running I had to change my attitude about it, then I got excited about it. Rather than thinking of it as exercise time I started thinking about it as "me time." I put my favorite music or audio books on my iPod, and I started to look forward to that hour that was all mine. Good luck with your training. You can do it!

Post a Comment