March 8, 2011

Be a DOER!

AVOIDANCE

a·void·ance

[uh-void-ns] 

-noun, The act of avoiding or keeping away from

  

What is the deal with this word?  Well, it is definitely what I have (or have not) been doing... lots of talking, but not much doing.  I am pretty sure that is what we call a hypocrite...  I am AVOIDING everything I know I need to do.  I am avoiding the things that I say I believe I need to do to better my health and be a better me.


"But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves."  -James 1:22





Did you catch that?  DO NOT BE A HYPOCRITE!!!  Be DOERS or the word... DOERS.  DO something!  How am I DOING?  Not only with living out the word, but with my everyday choices.  Are my choices truly glorifying my AWESOME God?  Choices such as what I put in my mouth, how I spend my time, and how I use my energy.

Well, mostly for the last several months it's been junk and TOO much of it.  I guess you could say I have completely fallen off the wagon... and onto the couch.  


With my nutrition...
I am drinking coke... real Coca-Cola, not even diet.  I'm eating all the wrong things.  Whatever is convenient, quick, and usually salty.  Then I chase the salty with something sweet.  I'm steadily spiraling out of control.  It is not like it is some big surprise.  know what choices I am making.  Choices that are not at all in my best interest.  I need to start DOING the right thing and make the right choices for my health.

With my time...
I am spending entirely too much time doing too many things that do not really matter.  For example, FACEBOOK.  This morning I chose to give it up for a week.  It is so easy to get on and next thing you know it has been way longer than intended.  If I really have that extra time (which I do not), I need to be DOING something meaningful!  Spend it in the WORD and also getting more active.  If I will spend my time and energy DOING things that really matter, everything else will fall into place.
 
With my energy...
I can and WILL be more active.  Walking to and from class does not count as exercise!  In our own home I have resources I can use, so even if I can't get out, I have no excuses!  I need to spend less time sitting and more time DOING.


This is a battle I CAN and WILL win.  In an earlier post, I mentioned that I have been reading and listening to a book, "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst.  It was honestly too convicting, so I put it away.  I could not handle admitting that I am where I am... almost right back where I was.
Today I woke up with a new attitude.  It is not an attitude that came from within ME.  It had to come from HIM.


Feeling motivated as I got into the car this morning, I got the CD back out and put it in.  I decided to start all over.  I NEED to do this.  Not so that I will fit into tiny clothing and meet the world's standard of beauty.  I need to do this for my GOD, myself, and my family.  How in the world can I be at my best if I am not healthy?  How can I be healthy if I don't even care about how I treat my body?  
I WILL NOT go on a "diet".  In my opinion, diets do not work.  Completely eliminating foods from one's diet is not natural, normal, or realistic.  It cannot last forever (unless you're Superwoman, which I am NOT!).
One thing I will do is fast.  If there is a food that I cannot get out of my head (chocolate), I will go without it until I can learn to turn to GOD instead of that food.  I have got to learn not to diet, or just eat foods that keep me full.  
I need to learn how to deal with cravings.  More times than I know, I have eaten an entire meal and been more than full, yet still wanted dessert.  Being full does NOT stop this girl from craving her sweet after salty!


My goal for this week is to stay focused on things that truly matter.  Stop the avoidance.  I will do my best to eat healthy, live healthy, and not waste time on things that don't really matter.  I am going to be a DOER!

My verse for the week is one that I already know.  I'm feeling like I need to be reminded of it though.  




"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."  -2 Timothy 1:7





0 comments:

Post a Comment